3D print from a tweetbot

There are a lot of museums looking at how objects in their collections can be scanned and 3D Printed.  There are  reasons for this, most of them very serious,academic and scholarly.

The small project I have been working on is a lot less serious but still has a worthwhile reason behind it.  Just as my Farting statues App was a exploration of taking the objects in a collection, mixing them with information from Wikipedia adding in  Android code and coming up with something silly and frivolous.  This is a exploration of  turning  the output of a museum API into a 3D printed object.  I was interested in how the object would transform and change as it went through the processes of turning from a Physical object, into digital data and back into a physical object albeit in a modified form.

The project was inspired by this guardian article on twitter  bots, the interest in that comes from my current work project making the satellite X3Prospero tweet.

One of the bots in the article was @MuseumBot  this is a bot written by Darius Kazemi (@tinysubversions)  it takes the open access images that are made available by  the Met Museum, tweets an image along with a link to the page on the met museum website.

After following this bot, there was an image that was tweeted that took my interest

 

 

There was just something I found  interesting about the object,also the quite detailed but well defined outline made me think straight away that would be interesting to 3D Print, and thats how this started.

Not really knowing what to do  but knowing it is possible to build 3D models from photographs that was my first avenue of investigation.  Yes it is possible but it requires multiple photographs  taken at different angles.  I only had the one photograph taken at one angle.

From then my next was to see what I could do with the outline of the object. I realised that it wouldn't be possible to get all the detail of the face of the figurine  in the print, at least not in the first iteration of it.

I Started off following this article  but using Adobe illustrator to turn the image into a SVG file.  The output from the automatic outline feature of Illustrator was quite poor.  It was probably because of the shading and highlighting on the object.  So it was time to bite the bullet and do it myself.  This took around six hours, working at a high magnification and going very slowly.  This process did highlight  a problem with the image. It is not perfectly straight on at the top face, the outline shows some of the side edges.  Not sure what the technical term for that is, it probably has one.

I made the decision to ignore that problem and rather than try to guess what the actual outline should be just go around the outline as it is on the photograph.

The first time doing the import into 123D Design didn't go well.  It showed up a mistake made in the outlining process. Rather than creating a single outline I had inadvertently created hundreds of very small lines. A newbie Illustrator mistake.  So had to spend around another six hours joining up all the tiny lines.

The import into 123D Design was much better this time. All I had to do then was to scale the model to approximately the same size as the actual object and export the STL file for printing.

The Printing was done at Machines Room  on their Ultimaker 2 printer.  All I had to do was import the STL file into the Ultimaker Cura software and export a GCode file for the printer.

Printing was simply a Copying the gCode file on to a SD card, putting the card into the printer,selecting the file and pressing print.   The printer takes a few minutes to warm up and there is a little of the PLA oozes out as it reaches temperature, that just needs to be supported away from the print base to stop it from getting onto the print as it starts.

object_printing

Once it has done started printing and been running a few minutes its ok to leave it running until it completes, so I went for a coffee and waited.

It was all straight forward, it took around one hour to print and then around ten minutes to leave to cool on the bed of the printer to prevent it from warping as it cooled.

object_printing_2

 

 

Whats next?

I would really like to add in the face and its features.  The current design is a single thickness , I would like to make the thickness of the different parts of the object must closer to the actual object.

One interesting thing that I had not considered was the material transformation.  It was printed in yellow because that was what the printer was loaded with at the time and was close to the gold in look.  Two people I showed it to suggested gilding it or coating with gold leaf.  After thinking about this for a while I have decided not to.  The shape of the object has changed through the process, the material has changed, I don't see any need to pretend that it is the same material as the original, I think that is an interesting part of the story.

The file for printing is now on Thingiverse , so if you want to print out this object or play around and transform the model in any way, feel free.  If you do let me know what you happens,  am interested.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments are closed.